Monday, August 31, 2009

@ the workplace

My best friend and I have hairy arms. Hers more than mine (at least I think so), just cause she is lighter than me and her arm hairs are signficantly darker, therefore more visible. We are both aware of our hairy arms and share stories on this topic - moreso than I can share with other friends.
She works in the IT/software programming industry, not too many women in this field. For example her office, until recently she was the only girl in the programming department; she works with a lot of guys. Apparently one of the guys came up to her one day and they were just chatting at her desk, and he kinda just went in and started touching her arm hairs. She says she couldn't believe it, that he actually just came straight out and started touching her arm hair (not in a creepy kinda way tho). She says that all he said was wow you have a lot of arm hair! And that was it. Nothing else. After that she pulled her arm away from him. She wasn't sure what to do about his gesture and comment. When she was telling me the story, I just kept laughing cause I know she get's uncomfortable with that kind of thing. I think that if that happened to me (now), I would definately engage more of a conversation on the topic. But it hasn't happened yet!!

4 comments:

  1. That is interesting! It is a little awkward how the guy handled the situation, but I'm sure he has never had the balls to approach the subject before, and probably is one of the guys who finds it attractive. Its really hard for us to come out and say it because we know that most women aren't going to take it very well, and we are often a little unsure of ourselves because of that fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris is right...I'm sure the fellow found the hair attractive, but he certainly didn't handle the situation well. I have only mentioned arm hair to women a few times over the years, and then only when I knew the lady well and figured she wouldn't take offense...and even then, it usually turned out to be an embarrassment for one or both of us. I wish it weren't so, but, sadly, it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's crazy! I've had that happen to me once before, and I was like "what are you doing?", he just smiled. I guess many guys don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had girls allow me to touch their arms before. (Though I admit, I skirted my way to the issue every time.) It's always an odd feeling getting to feel their arm hair.

    ReplyDelete