Wednesday, August 18, 2010

It's been a while

Well, I haven't posted on this blog in a while, and seeing as it's fairly inactive maybe we can stir up some conversation. I am turning 20 on the 27th of this month (August) and my arms have been extra hairy as long as I can remember. Even as a little girl my arms were hairier than those of other kids. It's funny, we all know that kids are much more mean-spirited than adults, usually, but in elementary school I was made fun of for my glasses and my height, but never my arms. This just goes to show you that kids LEARN to be prejudiced as they get older. When I was a child, having hairy arms was just a natural thing, even mean kids didn't notice it because it just WAS. It is not until people get older and the views of society are so deeply ingrained in them that they can see hairy arms as a bad thing, or something to make fun of. Sure, in middle school and high school I did get teased. Being a young woman with such hairy arms made me feel kind of bad about myself. For a while in middle/high school I shaved my arm hair off every time I showered. Of course at that point I started getting made fun of if I missed a spot! I realized that it did not matter what I did, people were going to make fun of me for not being perfect. After that day I never shaved my arms again. Screw what people think! It felt so good to be introduced to the CProductions website. I finally found a place where people would love my for my hairiness. I used to worry that even though I was an attractive woman that my arm hair would scare men off. I'm with a wonderful guy now who could not care less about the hair on my arms or anywhere else on my body, and loves me for me. It took a lot of confidence for me to be with someone, because I still think about my arm hair from time-to-time and get self-conscious about it. When I dress up nice I often think that people are going to be looking at my arm hair rather than at me... I want to appear feminine when I put on nice clothes. However now I know the truth! The people who do not care about arm hair will not notice, the people who like arm hair will think it makes me all the more beautiful, and the people who don't like it... well they can just eff off! My body and looks make me feminine. I was born female and you know what? Females actually *GASP* ARE BORN WITH BODY HAIR! Somewhere along the way it became "weird" for women to be hairy, even though that's how we're ALL born! So forget it. Forget all of the people who think it's strange. They're crazy if they think natural = ugly. I'm beautiful, so are my arms, and so are the arms of every hairy woman. We're all beautiful because we have embraced who we are and have decided not to change a thing for people who don't matter! Good luck to all you brave girls!

5 comments:

  1. Lexy I'd say that most if not all gals with hairy arms go through similar thoughts. It is brave of you to be able to assert yourself like you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting post in an interesting blog. Hi, all:) I have very hairy arms myself, and my experiences are similar with yours, Lisa. In highschool people used to make fun of me, calling me names etc. I used the tactic to not care and that actually helped! And no, I have never shaved or waxed my arms - 100% bald arms would look creepy! Good luck to you to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great comments, Lexy. I'm glad that you had the self-confidence to be comfortable with what nature gave you, and to share it with the rest of us. Happy birthday in advance, and best wishes always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tori, you are welcome to become part of the team here as I feel that the more who share thoughts on this issue, the better for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only just found this website but I almost cried when I read your blog.

    I too have hairy arms and for many years have struggled with them and other peoples unkind and cruel comments. For many years whilst at school and after, I shaved my arms and then got teased for that too, it was a no win situation. Only recently have I been going au natural, since a recent travelling trip. Its still hard sometimes though, I see people looking at my arms and I just automatical think they are disgusted by them. I am slowly coming to being more like - this is me, this is how i was born and i'm not changing it for you, but its gonna take time.

    Thank you for being honest about your experiences and for making me realise I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete